A Facelift & Upgrade for UTC’s Westfield Shopping
The rubble and large machinery moving dirt around on the corner of Gennesee and La Jolla Village Drive has not been an indicator of subtle changes. Big things are happening in the area. A walk-through and tour with VP of Development, John Alderson, gave a peek into the experiential shopping that could propel UTC as the new premier shopping destination for Southern California. For San Diegans this could alleviate South Coast Plaza trips. (gasp)
(click on photos to see larger versions)
Over the last few years, Westfield has already begun to introduce us to a new type of shopping center with the addition of event space, chillout pods, live music and a luxury theater. That was a teaser. If all goes as planned, the 2017 rendition, called The Ultimate Escape, will create an attractive choice in San Diego’s shopping experience.
Conveniences that you can expect:
- Commissioned art, interactive and still
- 2000+ more parking spots
- 300′ long, four lane, valet port
- Purchases delivered directly to valet for pick up
- Re-location of the current transit center to a non-intrusive area of UTC
- 90 more retail spaces including an ALL NEW, larger Nordstrom
- Dining experience plaza, large event venues, and more
Opening is set for October 2017. Stay tuned for more news to come.
According to Westfield representatives, several new, luxury vendors are in the midst of contracts at this moment. Westfield declined stating who they might be.